Our Directed Energy team in Albuquerque is looking for a Ultrashort Pulse Laser Engineer to operate, maintain, and improve USPL systems and to setup and perform experiments with USPLs. This is an exciting opportunity to work with modern equipment in cutting-edge laboratories at the Air Force Research Laboratories (AFRL) on Kirtland AFB, where you will be part of a team that investigates novel USPL phenomenology of both low and high power systems.
Your day to day:
• Support laser system operations including alignment, optimization, and operation of oscillators and amplifiers.
• Perform optical test functions including power, spatial, spectral and temporal characterization of optical beams.
• Assist with laboratory equipment maintenance and organization.
• Assist with installation of new hardware and fixtures to expand laboratory capabilities and capacity.
• Provide regular progress reports and maintain timelines for multiple projects.
This is you:
• Possess a bachelors degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline focused on optics or short pulse laser technology with two or more years with short pulse laser system experience, including laser system alignment, diagnostics, design, and maintenance.
• Ability to analyze data and write accurate, concise and readable test summary reports
• Ability to engage in technical research and development in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work well with scientific peers
• Have the ability to acquire and maintain a DoD secret clearance.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• 10+ years experience operating and troubleshooting USPL systems.
• Troubleshooting and resolving optical and electronics related system issues.
• Experience operating and troubleshooting Joule-class Nd:YAG nanosecond lasers.
• Experience with optical and electronic synchronization techniques.
• Experience with OPA systems.
• Optomechanical modelling experience and knowledge of materials.
• Proficiency in LabVIEW, CAD, and/or Zemax.
• Strong innovation, analytical and diagnostic skills.
About Our Team
Our Directed Energy team in Albuquerque consists of approximately 100 scientists, engineers, technicians, drafters, fabricators and support staff with backgrounds in advanced physics, electrical and mechanical engineering, electromagnetics, lasers, and high-power microwaves. For over three decades our team has worked with government laboratories to push the limits of the state-of-the-art in several high-tech fields, and continue to do so on several programs.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.