The NISC IV program at Leidos is seeking a Fire Protection Engineer to work in the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Regional Office in Des Moines, WA.
The Fire Protection Engineer will provide engineering support to the FAA Seattle Terminal Engineering Center with project management and project planning for various Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) and Terminal Radar Approach Control Facilities (TRACON) installation and upgrade projects, and other National Airspace System (NAS) modernization projects.
Specific duties for this position include:
- Provide Fire Life Safety (FLS) Engineering Subject Matter Expertise (SME) support by analyzing feasibility, design, planning, and installation of FLS systems for various ATCT and TRACON projects throughout the Western Service Area (WSA).
- Prepare Fire Life Safety (FLS) designs and drawings, and ensure quality and completeness of existing FLS engineering designs and drawings.
- Review plans for new Air Traffic Control Towers (ATCT) to verify compliance with the International Building Code (IBC), applicable Code of Federal Regulations (CFR’s), and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.
- Perform site visits to make recommendations for FLS design, ensure installation is following design and schedule, and completed project matches planned scope.
- Participate in construction meetings prior to and during construction for ATCT FLS upgrades, and advise FAA Resident Engineer on FLS concerns throughout construction.
- Analyze and review of 3rd party contractor’s fire alarm, fire stopping, and fireproofing submittals.
- Prepare engineering risk assessments, and provide recommendations and proposals of actions or improvements to mitigate potential risks resulting from site, facility, and project/program changes.
We are seeking a talented and energetic candidate to work with the best and brightest employees around the country in creating innovative all-encompassing solutions for our programs. You will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth.
In this role, you will gain many intangible skills, such as time and task management, critical thinking and problem solving, the ability to communicate complicated problems in a concise manner, as well as solve complex problems using available tools.
We offer meaningful and engaging, collaborative culture, and support your career goals, all while nurturing a healthy work life balance. Are you ready to grow with us?
Please Note: Must be able to work onsite in Des Moines, WA (once temporary Pandemic remote work is over or when asked to return to the office).
Sign on Bonus and/or Relocation assistance will be considered, but not guaranteed.
Education and Technical Requirements:
- Education: Bachelor of Science Degree in an Engineering discipline from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredited college/university OR equivalent if from a foreign college/university.
- Professional Qualifications and License: Shall have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the use of nationally recognized codes, standards, and criteria influencing the protection of life and property from the hazards of fire. Must have 4+ years of prior relevant experience with a Bachelors degree OR 3+ years with a Master’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to design and implement automatic fire detection and alarm systems in mission critical and business occupancies. This will include automatic fire detection, zoned notification and evacuation, emergency control functions, mass notification, and interoperability with other building systems.
- Ability to evaluate existing facility fire alarm systems and recommend improvements or corrections.
- Ability to monitor progress of fire alarm installations and report deficiencies and deviations from design plans.
- Knowledge of NFPA 72 Fire Alarm and Signaling Code.
- AutoCAD proficiency.
- Ability to obtain and/or Maintain Public Trust security clearance.
- Preferred to be a Registered Professional Engineer in the sub discipline of Fire Protection with any state professional board of the United States, held in good standing.
- Familiarity with FAA and the National Airspace System (NAS) is a plus not absolutely necessary.
- Microstation knowledge, particularly the ability to migrate Microstation files to AutoCAD files is not absolutely necessary but a plus.
- Experience with NFPA 75 and information technology facilities.
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.