The Leidos Intelligence Group is seeking a talented Mechanical Engineer in Reston, Virginia. Our dynamic R&D team focuses on interoperability of systems within WMD related facilities. Candidate must bring a creative, yet sound, approach to identifying and solving challenges with these interrelated systems in a customer setting, and have exceptional attention to detail and a commitment to thoroughness. The successful candidate will work within an interdisciplinary team of government and contractor personnel conducting Weapons of Mass Destruction Analysis. Work will be performed in a fast-paced, high-energy environment within a government facility. The candidate should demonstrate a willingness to research and resolve highly complex problems with state of the art engineering techniques and use advanced technologies. Candidate should have the ability think differently, unconventionally, and from a new perspective.
- Must possess an active TS/SCI and eligible for a poly
- MS in mechanical engineering, or BS in mechanical engineering with MS in related field
- 10-15 years’ experience in the intelligence and/or DoD communities
- 10+ years’ experience leveraging mechanical engineering principles
- 5+ years’ experience with fluid mechanics:
- Fluid behaviors
- Fluid dynamics
- Experience with manufacturing or industrial processes
- Ability to read design schematics
- Ability to work on a team with engineers and scientists from various technical fields
- Reverse engineers complex systems based on partial information
- Conducts basic design of mechanical systems for the purpose of computer modeling
- Analyzes engineering data to identify holistic understanding of limitations
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and customer relation skills
- Highly detailed oriented
- Adept at working in a fast-paced environments
- Ability to resolve complex, unclear problems and issues with research and nontraditional solutions.
- Comprehensive WMD tradecraft; focused on modeling and assessing industrial facilities.
- Exploitation of national level intelligence
- Expert is creating briefs and papers using Microsoft office
- P.E. license in mechanical engineering or related field
- PhD in related field
- Real world experience supporting Industrial/Manufacturing production
- Experience in agent-based modeling, CFD, coding, or related modeling or programming
- 5+ years’ experience in the WMD community
- 5+ years’ experience with Chemistry or Chemical engineering
- In depth knowledge of WMD problems with a focus using mechanical engineering principles
- Experience using MATLAB or other software
- Working knowledge of the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA) – Research & Development Directorate
- Experience working with Combatant Commands
Leverage Mechanical Engineering experiences daily to solve advance completed problems. Analyze intelligence when available, if not available use reverse engineering and best practices to produce assessments, briefs, papers, graphics, and data for the counter-WMD community. Develop counter CFD R&D projects to advance the community understanding and capabilities. Serve the team as the mechanical engineer subject matter expert. During exercises and customer driven requirements provide on-site 24/7 mechanical engineering SME support.
Works independently to achieve day-to-day objectives with significant impact on operational results or project deliverables. Responsible for entire projects or processes within a professional area. Typically responsible for coaching and reviewing the work of lower level professionals.
Problems are unclear and may require understanding of a broader set of issues, and may be difficult. Develops solutions to problems and issues that are unclear and require thorough analyses and understanding of domain knowledge.
Communicates with internal and client project team members. Works to influence team members regarding solution design, process and/or approaches.
Has full understanding of concepts, principles and industry practices within own discipline. Has deep understanding of industry practices and standards.
Requires a BA degree and 12+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 10 – 15 years of prior relevant experience.
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.