Leidos Public Health Division is seeking a number of Bioinformatics Developers to support public health projects. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis including development and application of quality control, assembly, functional annotation, sequence alignment, variant detection, and phylogenetic analyses of viral, bacterial, fungal and protist genomes, transcriptomes and metagenomes. This position is open to telecommuting, location preferred Atlanta.
Develop, test, and deploy bioinformatics data pipelines and workflows using open source platforms such as Agave, Nextflow and Taverna
Develop and execute bioinformatics algorithms and workflows in high-performance computing environments; including cloud and hybrid-cloud execution environments
Write customs scripts and software to perform bioinformatics analysis using Python, Perl, R and/or Java
Perform bioinformatics analysis using open-source bioinformatics tools as well as licensed proprietary software such as CLC Genomics Workbench and Geneious. Support modeling and simulation of evolutionary and population biological process using Bayesian inference and/or genetic algorithms.
Use statistical analysis tools, interpret and communicate results
Develop tools for visualizing complex biological datasets and able to interpret and communicate results as well as uncertainty to a diverse group of customers.
Develop and maintain highly curated genomic sequence databases, signature databases for virulence and AMR markers, strain type and pathogen type markers.
Work together with the DevOps team in adopting best software engineering practices for tool and workflow development.
Adapt bioinformatics algorithms and workflows in high-performance computing environments; including cloud and hybrid-cloud execution environments.
Provide guidance and support in scaled data analysis and management of next generation metagenomic sequencing data.
Assist with developing standard operating procedures for bioinformatics analyses.
Support and maintain relational databases (MySQL/PostgreSQL) as well as NoSQL databases (MongoDB).
Supports researchers in creating and submitting publication and poster presentations.
Communicate progress orally and in writing with our scientific community stakeholders
Assist with preparation of reports, presentations and papers for publication in scientific journals, conferences and meetings
- A master's degree in bioinformatics, genomics, molecular biology, genetics or related field;
- 3+ years of bioinformatics experience
- Experience in front-end development for bioinformatics tools, workflows and applications using AngularJS and NodeJS.
- Experience with processing of high-throughput data and possessing strong data management and analysis skills.
- Experience working in Linux environments and broad experience with open source bioinformatics tools
- Proficient coding/scripting in Python, R, Perl
- Experience working in a high-performance computing and/or cloud computing environment
- Competency writing customs scripts and software to perform bioinformatics analysis using Python, Perl, R and/or Java.
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to obtain NACI clearance.
- Strongly preferred experience in operating and developing components for workflow management systems such as Nextflow, Snakemake, and/or Workflow Description Language (WDL).
- Experience in one or more of the following phylogenetic analysis and visualization tools is highly desirable: BEAST, FastTree, RaxML, TreeTime, NextStrain, Microreact
- Experience in designing and conducting training workshops to the bioinformatics community on latest bioinformatics methods and concepts.
- Experience with machine learning approaches
Pay Range:Pay Range $60,450.00 - $93,000.00 - $125,550.00
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.