Chase your aspirations with no boundaries at Leidos! Accelerate your career growth by joining Leidos.
Leidos has an opening for a Senior Data Scientist for a project supporting HHS in Washington DC. Be part of a team performing a broad and ever-changing array of data science projects supporting national health preparedness and the ongoing COVID-19 response.
The Analyst will work to help prototype infectious disease analyses and forecasts. They will work with senior decision makers to translate questions into analyses and work with a development team to ensure that proper tools are available to support such questions in the future. Examples of such efforts include: developing new forecasting techniques for infectious disease; continuing development of existing agent-based modeling software framework; healthcare cost-benefit analyses; economic impact analyses; data exploration; constructing visualization of large and complex data; epidemiological analyses of infectious diseases. Analyses and modeling will focus on public health response and medical countermeasure mitigation.
The analyst will work both independently as well as with an established team of analysts who have been tackling these issues for a decade. Many of these efforts have been recognized as being difficult to solve and require the sophistication, creativity, and judgment of an established and competent data scientist. The position will require significant interaction with cross-functional teams of subject matter experts and senior leaders in non-quantitative fields, so communication skills are key to help understand the analysis needs as well as to brief the methodology and outcomes.
- Working with customer to refine a problem and translate into something that can be answered with a model and the available data
- Developing in and extending agent-based framework to support infectious disease and other response activities
- Performing ad-hoc analyses on existing data
- Performing the entire lifecycle of analysis: problem formulation, data acquisition, data cleaning, analysis, and presentation
- MS in relevant discipline with 6+ years relevant experience OR PhD in relevant discipline with 4+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in mathematics, probability and statistics, data science
- Experience with scientific or mathematical software or programming; particularly R or other scripting language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, or Mathematica)
- Experience developing software in an object-oriented programming language (Java programming is considered a strong plus)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to successfully interact with supervisors, functional peer groups, and/or outside customers
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
- Knowledge of quantitative epidemiology, avian/pandemic influenza, and/or related sciences
- Experience working with a data-science team, including knowledge of best practices of code management and working with large-scale data
- Prior experience with Knowledge Data Analytics, quantitative algorithms for prediction and Machine Learning/AI Knowledge of statistics, disease transmission modeling, systems dynamics modeling, Data analytics, Bioinformatics, Health economics and/or economic modeling