Chase your aspirations with no boundaries at Leidos! Accelerate your career growth by joining Leidos.
Leidos has an opening for a Senior Data Scientist for a project supporting HHS in Washington DC. Be part of a team performing a broad and ever-changing array of data science projects supporting national health preparedness and the ongoing COVID-19 response.
The Analyst will work to help prototype infectious disease analyses and forecasts. They will work with senior decision makers to translate questions into analyses and work with a development team to ensure that proper tools are available to support such questions in the future. Examples of such efforts include: developing new forecasting techniques for infectious disease; continuing development of existing agent-based modeling software framework; healthcare cost-benefit analyses; economic impact analyses; data exploration; constructing visualization of large and complex data; epidemiological analyses of infectious diseases. Analyses and modeling will focus on public health response and medical countermeasure mitigation.
The analyst will work both independently as well as with an established team of analysts who have been tackling these issues for a decade. Many of these efforts have been recognized as being difficult to solve and require the sophistication, creativity, and judgment of an established and competent data scientist. The position will require significant interaction with cross-functional teams of subject matter experts and senior leaders in non-quantitative fields, so communication skills are key to help understand the analysis needs as well as to brief the methodology and outcomes.
- Working with customer to refine a problem and translate into something that can be answered with a model and the available data
- Developing in and extending agent-based framework to support infectious disease and other response activities
- Performing ad-hoc analyses on existing data
- Performing the entire lifecycle of analysis: problem formulation, data acquisition, data cleaning, analysis, and presentation
- MS in relevant discipline with 6+ years relevant experience OR PhD in relevant discipline with 4+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in mathematics, probability and statistics, data science
- Experience with scientific or mathematical software or programming; particularly R or other scripting language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, or Mathematica)
- Experience developing software in an object-oriented programming language (Java programming is considered a strong plus)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to successfully interact with supervisors, functional peer groups, and/or outside customers
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
- Knowledge of quantitative epidemiology, avian/pandemic influenza, and/or related sciences
- Experience working with a data-science team, including knowledge of best practices of code management and working with large-scale data
- Prior experience with Knowledge Data Analytics, quantitative algorithms for prediction and Machine Learning/AI Knowledge of statistics, disease transmission modeling, systems dynamics modeling, Data analytics, Bioinformatics, Health economics and/or economic modeling
Pay Range:Pay Range $94,250.00 - $145,000.00 - $195,750.00
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.