Chase your aspirations with no boundaries at Leidos! Accelerate your career growth by joining Leidos.
Leidos has an opening for a Senior Data Scientist to support the office of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) within HHS in Washington DC. Be part of a small team with outsized impact! Work with CDC’s newly-established Center for Forecasting and Outbreak Analytics on developing the nation’s next-generation disease forecasting capabilities.
Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team conducting a broad range of quantitative analyses, including:
- Develop new forecasting techniques for infectious diseases
- Continue development of existing open-source agent-based modeling software framework
- Work with senior decision makers to translate policy questions into analyses
- Work with development team to ensure that proper tools are available to support analyses
- Perform healthcare cost-benefit and economic impact analyses
- Perform data exploration on novel datasets
- Construct visualization of large and complex data
- Perform epidemiological analyses of infectious diseases
- Assist clinical trial development with statistical analyses
You will work as part of a team on large-scale analyses as well as independently investigate problems. Many of these efforts have been recognized as being difficult to solve and require the sophistication, creativity, and judgment of an established and competent data scientist. The position will require significant interaction with cross-functional teams of subject matter experts in non-quantitative fields, so communication skills are key to understanding the analysis needs as well as for briefing the methodology and outcomes.
Telecommuting – Up to 100%. Preference for those local to Washington DC and able to take part in occasional on-site events.
- Working with customer to refine a question into a task that can be answered with a model and the available data
- Developing in and extending an agent-based framework to support infectious disease and other response activities
- Performing ad-hoc analyses on existing data
- Performing the entire lifecycle of analysis: problem formulation, data acquisition, data cleaning, analysis, and presentation
- MS in relevant discipline with 6+ years relevant experience OR PhD in relevant discipline with 4+ years relevant experience
- Expertise in mathematics, probability and statistics, data science
- Experience with scientific or mathematical software or programming; particularly R or other scripting language (e.g. Python, MATLAB, or Mathematica)
- Experience developing software in an object-oriented programming language (Java programming is considered a strong plus)
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to successfully interact with supervisors, functional peer groups, and/or outside customers
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret clearance
- Knowledge of quantitative epidemiology, avian/pandemic influenza, and/or related sciences
- Experience working with a data-science team, including knowledge of best practices of code management and working with large-scale data
- Prior experience with Knowledge Data Analytics, quantitative algorithms for prediction and Machine Learning/AI Knowledge of statistics, disease transmission modeling, systems dynamics modeling, Data analytics, Bioinformatics, Health economics and/or economic modeling
Pay Range:Pay Range $94,250.00 - $145,000.00 - $195,750.00