Leidos leading the way in helping the Federal Government account for their Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions. We are currently seeking a Lead Economist to help a large client develop and apply a methodology for evaluating the social costs of GHG, and analyzing various technologies for GHG mitigation.
Must possess, or be able to obtain, a DoD Secret clearance; U.S. Citizenship is required.
Scope 3 GHG emissions are emissions that are the result of activities not directly owned or controlled by an organization, but which that organization indirectly impacts. This type of emission can account for a significant majority an organization’s GHG emissions footprint. Emerging best practices within the private sector strongly encourage GHG emissions disclosure to increase supply chain transparency. Such transparency is increasingly tied to financial reporting, credit risk assessments, and accessibility to low-cost capital in addition to traditional environment, social, and governance reporting. This position will be responsible for providing key economic insight into analysis, methodologies, and collection schemes to create an accountability ecosystem to ensure our client’s major suppliers remain economically, and structurally resilient while being motivated to transition to clean practices and reduce their GHG emissions.
The Lead Economist will:
- Conduct climate change related economic modeling
- Analyze climate, infrastructure, supply chain, electricity and energy system development and energy investment planning
- Conduct scenario analyses of impacts of GHG abatement policy and regulation, impacts of acquisition policy, tax subsidies and penalties, and new energy technology development, on the energy-economy
- Evaluate and quantify the costs, benefits, and economic impacts of various GHG abatement initiatives
- Conduct research regarding labor economics, econometric research to explain economic trends in the energy industry, or the environmental impact of the economy or energy industry
- Prepare reports, papers, and presentations to communicate analysis results to clients and other key stakeholders
- Studies and analyzes the production, distribution and consumption of supply commodities and services, and looks at the organization, capitalization, markets, and other economic conditions affecting the industries which produce these commodities or services. May also study the interrelationships between the forces of the economy as a whole and the economics of a particular industry.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics or related field with at least 10 years of relevant experience or a Master's degree and at least 8 years of relevant experience. A PhD with relevant graduate research will count as experience.
- At least 5 years of experience providing economic modeling related to Climate, Energy, Environmental, and/or Supply Chain
- At least 3 years evaluating social costs of Greenhouse Gas, including equity and justice concerns
- Strong quantitative skills including an understanding of data and empirical analysis techniques
- An understanding of micro and macro-economic theory models as they relate to energy market analysis
- Experience performing economic analyses of any of the following sectors: Defense Industrial Base Sector, Critical Manufacturing Sector, Government Facilities Sector, Transportation Systems Sector, Chemical Sector, Commercial Facilities Sector, Information Technology Sector, Food and Agriculture Sector, Water and Wastewater Systems Sector, Communications Sector, Healthcare and Public Health Sector, Dams Sector, Emergency Services Sector, Financial Services Sector, Nuclear Reactors, Materials, and Waste Sector, Energy Sector.
- Documented publication record
- Strong organizational and communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to respond to rapidly changing client needs.
- Advanced in software applications such as MS Excel and Powerpoint. Experience leading virtual meetings through platforms such as MS Teams or Skype.
- Masters or PhD in energy economics, environmental economics, applied economics, or related discipline
- 0-2 years of experience in economic modeling and analysis particularly with knowledge and experience in energy, environmental, resource, or labor economics
- 3+ years working with the Department of Defense in some capacity
- Active Secret Clearance
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.