The Intelligence Group at Leidos has an opening for a Geospatial Data Scientist to support our customer in Springfield, Virginia. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience in GIS, scripting, and data science to support a national security customer. As Geospatial Data Scientist you will develop and apply methods to identify, collect, process, and analyze large volumes of data to build and enhance products, processes, and systems. You will conduct data mining and retrieval, and apply statistical and mathematical analyses to identify trends, solve analytical problems, optimize performance, and gather intelligence. You will also visualize information using a range of tools (e.g., GIS, R), develop scripts and algorithms, create explanatory and predictive models, and conduct comparative analyses to address complex GEOINT problems. The candidate should have a geospatial background and a strong ability to independently conduct research and initiate projects in support of customer objectives.
The candidate will work directly with customers and team members and must be able to create, edit, research, evaluate, analyze, and fuse data from multiple sources and datasets to produce current and finished geospatial intelligence products. The candidate will participate in efforts to develop and apply methods to identify, collect, process, and analyze large volumes of data to build and enhance products, processes, and systems. They will apply the application of programming, statistics and visualization to glean insights from large and disparate data sources. Data Scientists understand and utilize aspects of machine learning to solve and automate classification, regression, cluster analysis, anomaly detection, association discovery, and topic modeling tasks. These scientists understand and utilize solutions with predictive patterns from data into practical, intelligent applications that anyone can use. They visualize information using a range of tools, develop scripts and algorithms, create explanatory and predictive models and conduct comparative analyses to address complex problems. The candidate should have experience in creating and maintaining geodatabases and integrating and managing foundation, intelligence, and multi-INT data into structured geodatabases. The candidate will also create and develop complex scripts and algorithms (e.g. Python), create explanatory and predictive models and conduct comparative analyses to address complex military and intelligence problems. Duties may also include the visualization of information using a range of tools (e.g. Tableau, R, and ESRI Arc-GIS 10.4 suite, including model builder). Candidate will be expected to provide excellent customer support and consultation, interacting with analytic units in a professional manner to understand their challenges, incorporate their feedback, and provide quality solutions.
- Active TS/SCI
- Bachelor of Science in a quantitative discipline such as data science, mathematics, statistics, earth science, quantitative social sciences, geographic information science, computer science, physics, or a related field. In conjunction with proficiency and at least three years’ experience with applied data processing and scientific analysis of large datasets and machine learning
- Training in applied mathematics including statistics and mathematical modeling to support temporal and pattern analysis, correlation of events, probability analysis, and assessments of sampling, analysis of variance and error, and regression testing and analysis.
- Familiarization with modeling software (e.g. FME, SPSS, SAS) for processes, repeatability, efficiency, knowledge capture, hypothesis testing, visualization, and process automation
- Experience programmatically connecting to database and web based data sources
- Knowledge and experience in data mining, cleansing, and exploring spatial, temporal, and non-spatial data in both structured and unstructured formats
- Experience with one or more cloud based technologies
- Proficiency in MS Office suite
- Strong time management skills
- Comfortable working independently
- Demonstrated ability to work in a very dynamic and demanding work environment
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively as a team member
- Masters of Arts or Science degree or higher in a quantitative discipline such as data science, mathematics, statistics, earth science, quantitative social sciences, geographic information science, computer science, physics, or other.
- Computational analytic modeling: experience engineering and tuning deep learning algorithms for data science.
- Experience running command line operations in one or more operating systems: Windows and/or Linux (command line)
- Experience connecting up to two or more database web sources: Database: Postgres, Oracle, SQLite, and/or Arc SDE. Web: API’s GeoJson, REST.
- Demonstrated experience with two or more cloud based technologies
Pay Range:Pay Range $60,450.00 - $93,000.00 - $125,550.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.