Join our global force of military school counselors!
Leidos is looking for a School Counselor to support Dyess AFB near Abilene, Texas.
A career of purpose—serving our nation’s military children and families—is open for you, an empathetic, supportive, and motivational licensed therapist who can proactively help military children overcome common challenges such as a deployment of a parent, frequent relocation, and emotional management.
Leidos partners with the Department of Defense’s (DoD’s) Military and Family Life Counseling (MFLC) Program to provide highly confidential counseling services and support to military service members and their families. Non-medical counseling is preventive in nature and aims to address and solve issues before they become more harmful problems.
Many people like you, who have behavioral or mental health experience, are finding satisfaction in the non-medical counseling profession. Your education and experience can more effectively help people navigate life’s challenges when you’re not spending long hours completing billing and documentation, filing paperwork, or sitting at a desk all day. The MFLC model emphasizes simple and easy documentation used for reporting activity only:
- No long narratives to generate
- No insurance to file
- No progress notes
- No treatment plans
Along with job satisfaction, you will be a part of the force of counseling excellence that makes a meaningful difference for U.S. Service Members and their families! Counselors play a vital role in helping service members and their families with support services they truly need. Military school children face unique emotional and environmental challenges due to the stress of military life. This is an opportunity for you to reach them where and when you are most needed:
- Support children, classrooms and parents with management and engagement strategies, reminders of appropriate developmental focus and educational activities.
- Promote creativity and positivity through approved materials and tools.
- Give presentations that build skills and problem-solving capabilities.
- Build rapport with parents and families by attending events and creating education and awareness about the importance of counseling services.
- Help military spouses balance military life, careers, education, and parenting.
- Become an integral part of the military educational leadership community that shapes our nation’s future. Many MFLCs receive military honors and awards as a gesture of appreciation for the value they bring!
Counseling services are generally preventive in nature and address topics such as living conditions, life skills, relationships at home and work, stress management, adjustment issues, marital problems, parenting, fear, grief, loss and much more. Our counselors use their clinical skills and experience to identify high risk behaviors and assist in referral for ongoing treatment and support.
- Face-to-face counseling to military service members and their families (Individual, Couples, Family, and Children).
- Visibility in assigned school, supporting military-connected students, parents, and staff.
- Recommending appropriate referrals and handoffs based on your experienced differential clinical skills to military and community resources according to the needs of military service members and their families.
- Developing and/or using approved counseling, training and education programs and materials.
- Communicating information regarding trends and issues at assigned school to Team Leads.
- Participating in regular in-service training or other contract activities as assigned.
- Participating in after-school events.
- A Master’s degree or higher in the Behavioral Health Professions (MS/MSW/MA/PhD)
- Licensure to practice at the independent practice level (LCSW, MFT, LPCC, Psychologist) in the state where you provide services.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be able to pass a basic background check for employment, a Child National Agency Check, and Inquiries (NACI/CNACI) clearance, commonly called a Public Trust clearance.
While helping America's bravest and their families, MFLC counselors also benefit from:
- Free work-related professional development courses.
- iPad provided for easy digital reporting, with no PII or PHI.
- Reimbursement for job-related license renewal fees.
- Flexible 40-hour work weeks.
- Paid federal holidays.
The Leidos Difference for Counselors:
- Enjoy centralized support through a Counseling Center of Excellence that provides best practices, expert speakers, state-of-the-art resources, and evidence-based research that allow MFLC counselors to spend less time on administration and more time with their participants.
- Partnerships with the military, United States government and academic institutions allow you to work on new and emerging trends such as public health-based intervention models and optimization of the behavioral healthcare continuum.
Pay Range:Pay Range $52,650.00 - $81,000.00 - $109,350.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.