Are you interested in improving and shaping the future of transportation in a group of collaborative and motivated individuals? Consider joining the Leidos Surface Transportation Solutions team.
Leidos is seeking a Senior Transportation Operations Engineer to provide support with projects under contract to the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) Federal Highway Administration and State/Local Departments of Transportation (DOTs).
Senior Transportation Operations Engineer responsibilities:
• Provide technical leadership to staff working on projects and proposals that manage disruptions to transportation operations.
• Ensure organizational preparedness for non-recurring events (incidents, work zones, special events, weather, etc.) and associated disruptions to transportation operations.
• Manage and lead multiple projects related to transportation operations
• Identify, inform, and engage staff on industry advances and customer needs and direction
• Manage the project budget, schedule, client interactions, and deliverable quality.
• Oversee and direct work performed by subcontractors and other project staff to meet project objectives.
• Perform work on projects as part of project teams, including guidebook development, data and analysis tool development and piloting, training course and training module development, leading workshops and training for State and local agencies, and research in one or more of the areas of work zone safety and mobility, traffic incident management, and road-weather management systems. Projects range in size from approximately $50,000 to $5 million.
• Developing new business in the transportation operations area in the Federal and state/local markets and maintaining existing client engagement.
• Provide leadership on proposals for the operations program, including proposal team management, writing, reviewing content from other proposal team members, developing work breakdown structures, and estimating level of effort.
Typical job functions include:
• Tracking new developments in techniques, practices, and technologies for managing disruptions to operations.
• Developing analytical solutions to client’s research objectives.
• Writing technical reports/system engineering documentation.
• Reviewing project deliverables (reports, software, etc.) and directing revisions.
• Providing technical guidance to proposal managers, project managers, and other staff.
• Leading preparation of proposals.
• Leading meetings with and engaging project staff and clients.
• Requires a Bachelor’s of Science degree and a minimum of 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with a minimum of 6+ years of prior relevant experience
• Master’s degree in transportation operations, transportation systems, advanced transportation technology, or similar is highly desired.
• Experience should include increasing levels of technical leadership of significant work on transportation activities.
• Experience with ensuring organizational preparedness to deal with non-recurring events and associated disruptions to transportation operations.
• In-depth experience with at least one of the following areas and familiarity with all of the areas: work zones, traffic incidents, planned special events, and adverse weather.
• Experience demonstrating a thorough understanding of data, connected and automated vehicles, and transportation safety in relation to preparing and dealing with nonrecurring events. Demonstrated understanding of the tradeoffs and considerations in safety and mobility related to managing disruptions on highways.
• Excellent analytic and quantitative skills as well as superb verbal and written communication skills.
• Fluency with Microsoft Office tools/programs, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; Microsoft Access is a plus.
• Demonstrated project management experience ideally for Federal government projects.
• Detail-oriented, self-motivated, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
• Work experience in a consulting environment.
• Detailed knowledge of U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration’s Operations Program.
• Experience working with state or local DOTs on implementing real world programs/training for managing disruptions to operations
• Ability to conduct statistical analyses and design program evaluations.
• Field/management experience in managing highway disruptions, mitigating traffic impacts from disruptions, and achieving operational resiliency.
Pay Range:Pay Range $81,900.00 - $126,000.00 - $170,100.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.