An experienced Software Engineer is required to support the development of a multiple award winning ATM system. This is an opportunity to work on a programme with an exciting pipeline of international work and provide Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO) with tools to enhance their operation. The successful candidate does not need to be familiar with ATM; on-the-job training will be provided as required.
The software engineer will work in a rapidly changing environment, delivering software of a high quality to wide range of difficult problems. They will work as part of a team performing all software development activities throughout the development life cycle to meet sprint milestones. The position will require understanding and application of the software engineering standards, principles and best practices.
- Design software using functional and/or object oriented methodologies
- Implement software solutions and/or tools that contain logical and mathematical solutions
- Conduct functional, unit testing and/or early system integration testing
- Investigate problems identified during test, including problem diagnosis and resolution
- Prepare operating instructions for the software application and/or tool
- Document and present research findings to relevant stakeholders
- Apply the appropriate standards, processes and principles in his/her daily activities
- Experience of developing software in C and/or C++
- Enthusiastic self-starter with good verbal communication
- Excellent written communication through the use of e-mail, presentations and reports
- Comprehensive understanding of various software development methodologies
- Ability to work with due attention to schedule and cost constraints
- Adherence to process within a software development environment
- Ability to work as part of a software development team
- Knowledge of configuration management within an software engineering environment (e.g. Subversion, Git)
- Experience of developing software in Java
- Experience of Agile development (e.g. Scrum, SAFe)
- Experience of Linux operating systems and scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Knowledge of infrastructure as code and container technologies (e.g. Puppet, Docker)
- Knowledge of COTS integration technologies (e.g. Apache Camel, Apache Kafka)
- Experience of Atlassian tools (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
- Experience with public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS)
- Experience of the complete system life cycle from problem definition through to deployment
- Understanding of the principles of systems engineering, and integration and test
- Software development within a real-time and/or safety-related system
- Experience of systems / software design tools (e.g. Enterprise Architect, Camo Systems Modeller)
Description of Business Environment:
Leidos heritage companies pioneered the development of air traffic control systems in the United States more than 50 years ago. Today our systems handle 75 per cent of the air traffic in the U.S. and approximately 60 per cent of the world’s air traffic. When it comes to air traffic safety and efficiency, our proven track record and industry-leading innovations make us the world’s most trusted air traffic control partner.
Our support to UK Air Traffic Management (ATM) began with NATS in the early 1990’s, starting with the development of the current in-service system; and we are now at the heart of the innovative development work to modernise of ATM solutions.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.