An experienced Software Engineer is required to support the development of a multiple award winning ATM system. This is an opportunity to work on a programme with an exciting pipeline of international work and provide Air Traffic Control Officers (ATCO) with tools to enhance their operation. The successful candidate does not need to be familiar with ATM; on-the-job training will be provided as required.
The software engineer will work in a rapidly changing environment, delivering software of a high quality to wide range of difficult problems. They will work as part of a team performing all software development activities throughout the development life cycle to meet sprint milestones. The position will require understanding and application of the software engineering standards, principles and best practices.
- Design software using functional and/or object oriented methodologies
- Implement software solutions and/or tools that contain logical and mathematical solutions
- Conduct functional, unit testing and/or early system integration testing
- Investigate problems identified during test, including problem diagnosis and resolution
- Prepare operating instructions for the software application and/or tool
- Document and present research findings to relevant stakeholders
- Apply the appropriate standards, processes and principles in his/her daily activities
- Experience of developing software in C and/or C++
- Enthusiastic self-starter with good verbal communication
- Excellent written communication through the use of e-mail, presentations and reports
- Comprehensive understanding of various software development methodologies
- Ability to work with due attention to schedule and cost constraints
- Adherence to process within a software development environment
- Ability to work as part of a software development team
- Knowledge of configuration management within an software engineering environment (e.g. Subversion, Git)
- Experience of developing software in Java
- Experience of Agile development (e.g. Scrum, SAFe)
- Experience of Linux operating systems and scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Knowledge of infrastructure as code and container technologies (e.g. Puppet, Docker)
- Knowledge of COTS integration technologies (e.g. Apache Camel, Apache Kafka)
- Experience of Atlassian tools (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
- Experience with public cloud platforms (e.g. AWS)
- Experience of the complete system life cycle from problem definition through to deployment
- Understanding of the principles of systems engineering, and integration and test
- Software development within a real-time and/or safety-related system
- Experience of systems / software design tools (e.g. Enterprise Architect, Camo Systems Modeller)
Description of Business Environment:
Leidos heritage companies pioneered the development of air traffic control systems in the United States more than 50 years ago. Today our systems handle 75 per cent of the air traffic in the U.S. and approximately 60 per cent of the world’s air traffic. When it comes to air traffic safety and efficiency, our proven track record and industry-leading innovations make us the world’s most trusted air traffic control partner.
Our support to UK Air Traffic Management (ATM) began with NATS in the early 1990’s, starting with the development of the current in-service system; and we are now at the heart of the innovative development work to modernise of ATM solutions.