The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking an Environmental Scientist Intern to join our team in Pittsburgh, PA.
This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research. The employee will involve a multidisciplinary team, participation alongside other engineers, geologists, and data scientists to help develop next-generation tools aligned to the priorities of the DOE Fossil Energy and Carbon Management mission space.
- Conduct acid mine drainage field and laboratory-based research that includes the characterization of acid mine waters and treatment solids.
- Perform laboratory tests and modeling of mineral interactions towards understanding critical metal binding and attenuation by metal oxides found in AMD treatment solids (aka Mn-, Al- and Fe- oxides).
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary team, including geologists and other science researchers to assist each other in accomplishing project-related tasks.
- Building relationships with internal and external clients.
- Creating and delivering oral and poster presentations of results.
- Publications in high quality scientific peer-reviewed journals, presentations at national and international technical meetings.
- Development of new intellectual property based on innovative research.
- Period status reporting and project reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and clients.
- This position will require extensive interface with clients and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- B.S. degree in geochemistry, environmental science, geology, material characterization, or similar field.
- Current enrollment in a Master's or higher program at an accredited university or college.
- Applicants must have basic knowledge of critical mineral recovery, mineralogy and crystallography, analytical chemistry, fate and transport of trace metals, isotope applications in geology.
- Laboratory experiences in mineral synthesis and characterizations, adsorption, cation exchange capacity, precipitation and leaching batch experiments and using analytical instruments (e.g., IC, ICP) for environmental samples are desired.
- Understanding of and experience in surface and subsurface environments and rare earth elements/critical minerals.
- B.S. degree with more than 2 years of prior relevant experience in geochemistry, environmental science, geology, material characterization, or similar field.
- Previous knowledge of acid mine drainage (AMD) and AMD treatment systems is preferred.
- Experience in applications leveraging advanced analytics for energy and environmental systems. Applicants should also have a strong characterization background, including but not limited to: X-ray diffraction (XRD), Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM), IC or ICP and sequential extraction.
- Evidence of substantive participation in environmental scientific community.
Pay Range:Pay Range $48,300.00 - $69,000.00 - $89,700.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.