Leidos (NYSE: LDOS) is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defence, intelligence, homeland
security, civil, and health markets.
In fiscal 2020, Leidos generated approximately 87% of its total revenues from contracts with the U.S. government, either as a prime contractor or a subcontractor to other contractors engaged in work for the U.S. government. Revenues under contracts with the DoD and U.S. Intelligence Community, including subcontracts under which the DoD or the U.S. Intelligence Community is the ultimate purchaser, represented approximately 49% of the company’s total revenues for fiscal 2020. Leidos operates with five groups: Defense, Civil, Health, Intelligence and Dynetics
With full P&L responsibility for the ~$400m business, the SVP, Marine Business will be a change agent, harnessing the best of both cultures and business synergies across the newly merged business, resulting in Leidos’ ability to provide a broader, more comprehensive set of engineering solutions to the US Navy and to an expanding set of foreign Navies, to include Australia.
The SVP, Marine Business will be responsible for leading a team of over 1,000 employees, overseeing and executing ship design, autonomous underwater and surface vehicle technology programs, as well as advanced undersea sensors and programs, for domestic and international customers. The SVP, Marine Business will be responsible for developing and implementing business strategies that provide for growth in revenue, coordinating and leading multiple departments and subsidiaries, and ensuring the financial goals established within the Annual Operating Plan are satisfied.
The successful candidate will have a background with significant Profit & Loss responsibility; be comfortable operating in a fast-paced environment; demonstrate personal and thought leadership; focus on delivering results; and work with teams across divisions, operations, groups and corporate levels to ensure all policies and procedures for financial management, program and IR&D reporting, people management, and new business capture are accomplished successfully. As a leader of leaders, the position will guide division and program/project managers to ensure organizational, technical, managerial, and business development goals and values are met.
• Growth – Successfully leverage the considerable talent and potential of this newly formed Operation to provide novel solutions to customers and grow the business. S/he will provide Business creativity and strategic focus to manage in a high-growth environment, combined with the ability to translate these into organized, productive, tactical decisions. This executive will also bring a demonstrated ability to focus on critical items and achieve results by consistently prioritizing and executing on the most important initiatives to moving the business forward.
• Financial Management- Forecast and meet annual operating plan financial targets, and manage daily operating expenses including New Business Funds, IRAD, and team compensation.
• People Management – Sound, ethical, and inclusive leadership with a commitment to developing, engaging, recruiting, and retaining a diverse and high-performing team. S/he will bring a demonstrated keen understanding of the management and communication skills to create a ‘connected’ organization.
• Program Execution – Program and project oversight and implementation of processes and Quality Management Systems to achieve flawless execution and customer satisfaction
• Business Development – Business Strategy and pipeline development, customer relationship management, capture and proposal leadership, intra and inter-group collaboration, IR&D development and execution and B&P investments consistent with the operation’s overall business strategy to achieve top and bottom-line growth objectives
Driving Change & Executing for Results
• The ability to drive change by effectively setting and communicating clear expectations; s/he will build followership in harnessing the best of both cultures in this newly-merged organization.
• Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
• A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
• The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole.
• Strong customer focus; the inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall growth strategy.
• An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
• The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
•The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
•The ability to persevere in the face of challenges, and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
•A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence
•Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
•An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, and active drive.
Additional Personal Attributes
• Sound business judgement, strong operational and financial business acumen, and strategic planning skills
• Articulate and concise in evaluating and presenting complex ideas and plans. Superior communication skills across multiple levels of the organization as well as with customers and other external constituents.
• Ability and skills necessary to motivate employees at all levels of the organization. S/he will have a personal style that generates high levels of confidence and inspires teamwork and customer focus. In addition, s/he must have a style that fosters a ‘can-do’ attitude and a sense of trust and integrity.
• Strong focus on detail in setting and meeting professional and personal goals.
• Intrinsic understanding of the risk/reward scenario.
• Possess a sense of urgency and energy.
• Ability to lead and mange in a very fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
• Ability to identify, attract, and retain high quality people who will emulate the same strong leadership traits and talent management to build an exceptional organization.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate goals and expectations with clarity and concision.
• Strong reputation of integrity and high ethical standards.
• 20+ years of relevant maritime, naval architecture, or marine engineering industry experience; ideal candidates will bring broad and diverse leadership experience in large organizations focused on strategic planning, development, operations and sustainment of military systems and related technologies. S/he will have an understanding of where these programs currently stand and how to shape them with the Navy to create new programs of record that capitalize on emerging technologies. Candidates should be intimately familiar with pertinent Navy surface, subsurface, communications, and weapons programs to include future ship designs, system integration, and advanced maritime technologies.
• 5+ years of P&L Leadership experience of $250m+ gained in a CEO, COO, president, divisional vice president or general management role. Executives with prior business development, operations, or program management experience, preferred. Candidates with a combination of senior US Navy experience and private sector leadership/general management experience also desirable.
• Strong customer focus and orientation; s/he will bring a proven ability to cultivate and maintain relevant customer relationships that convert to business growth. S/he will bring an intimate knowledge of and credible relationships with United States Navy and possess an understanding of technical design and engineering services for government customers as well as innovative, advanced, and future ship and ship system design efforts for DARPA, ONR, DoD Strategic Capabilities Offices, and other US and international government organizations.
• Demonstrated understanding of acquisition and government contracting; candidates should have a detailed understanding of Navy contracting mechanisms to include traditional FAR based, and non-traditional contracting methods including OTAs and CRADAs, for ship design, production and advanced maritime technologies. Candidate should have an understanding of the Navy budgeting process to include POM development, and funding obligation and disbursement processes.
• Ability to obtain a Top Secret clearance.
• Master’s Degree in a technical or management field.
• Prior naval leadership and command experience, and current Navy customer experience is a plus.
• Currently possess an active Top Secret clearance.
Pay Range:Pay Range $281,250.00 - $375,000.00 - $468,750.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.