Senior Software Engineering Manager
We currently have a vacancy for a Senior Software Engineering Manager in our Air Traffic Management portfolio. The role, based in Whiteley, will be responsible for managing a multi discipline engineering team in the delivery of one of our ATM products. The role will also be responsible for the line management of a team of software engineering managers supporting other Air Traffic Management programmes and hiring new talent as required.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the development for a product with a ground-breaking roadmap and a pipeline of international work. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing oversight to the timely completion of all engineering activities . They will support the day-to-day activities of the engineering team and are responsible for ensuring that the engineering process has been followed to maintain compliance to software assurance standards. The successful candidate will act as the focal point for engineering design, implementation and test decisions and agreeing product design decisions with the Product Owner.
Description of Business Environment:
Leidos heritage companies pioneered the development of air traffic control systems in the United States more than 50 years ago. Today our systems handle 75 per cent of the air traffic in the U.S. and approximately 60 per cent of the world’s air traffic. When it comes to air traffic safety and efficiency, our proven track record and industry-leading innovations make us the world’s most trusted air traffic control partner.
Our support to UK Air Traffic Management (ATM) began with NATS in the early 1990’s, starting with the development of the current in-service system; and we are now at the heart of the innovative development work to modernise of ATM solutions.
- Oversight of software requirements, architecture and design baselines
- Oversight of implementation design and code quality
- Oversight of test plans and test execution
- Tracking and reporting of key technical performance measures
- Technical risk and opportunity management
- Change and release management
- Technical liaison between partner and customer engineering teams
- Maintenance of the Engineering Management Plans and oversight of all engineering processes
- Approval of all engineering work products and supporting customer sell off of deliverables
Line Management Duties:
- Develop and maintain talent management plans for all direct reports (e.g. succession, training and development planning)
- Coach, mentor and performance manage direct reports to support their career goals
- Support the recruitment and selection of new staff to meet business needs
- Support resourcing and work force planning processes to ensure bids and programmes are properly resourced
- Promote company values and support direct reports to put them into action
- Energise the team and maintain high morale in a high change and fast paced environment
- Demonstrated leadership and line management experience in a software domain
- Knowledge of systems engineering, software development, integration and test
- Experience of the complete project life cycle from bid through to operational delivery
- Ability to build effective working relationships with the team, internal stakeholders and external stakeholders
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to provide clear technical direction
- Ability to work cross-functionally in a fast-paced and rapidly changing work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication through the use of e-mail, presentations and reports
- Experience of Agile development (e.g. Scrum)
- Knowledge of procedural and object orientated software development languages (e.g. C, C++ & Java)
- Knowledge of Linux operating systems and scripting languages (e.g. Python)
- Knowledge of cloud platforms and container technologies (e.g. AWS & Docker)
- Knowledge of COTS integration technologies (e.g. Apache Camel, Apache Kafka)
- Experience with Atlassian tools (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
- Experience of delivering real-time and/or safety-related software
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.