The Manufacturing Engineer reports to the Production and Integration Manager, but works closely with Engineering, Production, Quality Assurance, and Project Management staff as part of the ME roles and responsibilities. Duties require application of engineering & manufacturing principles, analysis, and techniques. This position typically works under general supervision and direction. Incumbents of this position will regularly exercise discretionary and substantial decision-making authority. Primary responsibilities include:
Develop and maintain Leidos build documentation and work instructions for various electro-mechanical based products. Design and set up work flows for optimized assembly. Work with the Engineering/Design Staff to ensure all new products incorporate Design For Assembly (DFA) features, and can be assembled with available staff and tooling. Ensure Production staff are trained on proper tool usage, follow manufacturing best practices, and have proficient understanding of all production documentation. Resolve issues with assembly, quality, and test documentation, adjudicate changes with the engineering/quality staff and monitor engineering change order progress for agreed-upon changes. Work with QA to ensure relevant and actionable metrics are recorded and to establish quality inspection points that are inserted into all work documentation. Support investigations, critiques, and incident reports, including CARS, to resolve issues, perform Root Cause Analysis (RCA), and establish options for the best path forward. Support team efforts towards continuous improvements activities, Lean Six Sigma, process improvement, documentation updates, quality certifications and maintenance (ISO, AS9100, etc.), and overall cost and efficiency improvements.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Establishes manufacturing sequences, processes, and develops required tooling and test fixtures for the completion of all elements of deliverable program hardware.
• Provides on-going floor support and coordinates efforts in producibility and continuous process and product improvement. Subject Matter Expert in multiple process areas.
• Reviews and interprets engineering drawings, performance and product specifications, electronic files, supplier component specifications and applicable design information.
• Extracts and develops manufacturing concepts and methods that will support customer and company requirements from electrical and mechanical drawings and related engineering data that defines multi-indentured assemblies and systems.
• Provides complex input in concurrent engineering design activities to ensure producibility at the production phase of manufacturing.
• Determine critical processes on which to perform trend analysis. Performs trend analysis on these processes to determine compliance to contractual requirements and to improve the manufacturing processes and capabilities.
• Supports the coordination of all elements of Program Material Review Board (MRB) efforts to implement corrective and preventive action.
• Creates assembly execution instructions to load into our Manufacturing Execution System (MES) or Build Assembly documentation, and identifies opportunities for process improvement.
• Develops manufacturing processes that are subject to statistical process control (SPC), and may develop those techniques (leading towards Six Sigma).
• Applies lean manufacturing techniques to reduce cost and waste.
• Collaborates with Engineering Department to implement Design For Assembly (DFA) concepts, participates in engineering technical reviews (as required), supports First Article production, and develops the initial assembly work instructions for each new product.
• Provides guidance to engineering regarding design concepts and specification requirements to best utilize equipment and manufacturing techniques.
• Supports QA in Investigations of failures/defects, supports root cause analysis and implements corrective actions to support continuous improvement.
- Eight+ years of experience building electro-mechanical assemblies in an ISO 9001 or AS9100 production environment.
- Management/leadership experience working with multiple disciplines to achieve a common goal
- Experiencing setting up shop floors for varying production models (cell, assembly line, etc.) for optimal efficiency
- Able to read and comprehend engineering drawings and Bills of Materials and operational procedures
- Can produce assembly and test documentation for the assigned products (with support from Engineering and QA)
- Experience in producibility engineering/ design engineering (DFA) in an electro-mechanical environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Software
- Ability to qualify for a Security Clearance
- Requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience. Experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Four-year college degree in Industrial Technology, Industrial Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or other related discipline plus related experience listed above.
- Lean Six Sigma certification
- Experience with SharePoint
- Experience with Costpoint ERP
- CAD proficiency. Solidworks is a plus
Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.