The Integrated Solutions Division at Leidos has an opening for a Software Systems Engineer. The Software Systems Engineer uses requirements gathering, analysis, design and software development skills to identify, evaluate and remediate performance issues adversely impacting performance and availability of sensitive and critical national security focused computer systems. Working independently and/or in support of highly focused engineering teams, the Software Systems Engineer arrives at time-sensitive decisions and implements return-to-service solutions through the development of software scripting and other related software development initiatives, often in multiple application development languages and on varying system platforms. Working in a unique, mission-driven, customer environment, the Software Systems Engineer delivers development and implementation of corrective and perfective software solutions while working constructively and collaboratively across multiple functional and technical domains. The Software Systems Engineer drives consensus decision making to arrive at the most appropriate solution practicable.
The Software Systems Engineer performs efficiently and effectively in dynamic time-critical situations and adapts quickly to continually evolving priorities, facilitating consistently reliable, error-free mission application software processing in a high-visibility, complex computing environment. The Software Systems Engineer possesses technical and critical thinking skills, system knowledge, and the ability to deliver adaptive and innovative solutions to our nation’s most critical national security mission systems. Further, the Software Systems Engineer delivers comprehensive technical assessment capabilities in order to meet or exceed prescribed Performance Requirements Standards (PRS). Our Software Systems Engineers understand and deliver services in accordance with and informed by clear understanding and interpretation of ITIL level II Software Systems Engineering and Information Technology Service Management (ITSM) standards as performed on classified government mission IT systems.
Other Integral Duties and Obligations:
- Adhere to prescribed incident and problem management processes to quickly respond to, or proactively address, mission system outages, anomalies or catastrophic events.
- Required Skills: Independent analysis, report writing and delivery, independent decision making, leadership, unflinching attention to detail
- Coordination and collaboration with customers, teammates, internal and external stake holders to execute timely and effective return-to-service procedures. Further, work with program personnel to facilitate understanding with customer acquisition organizations to understand, interpret and translate operational requirements into functional requirement and design specifications.
- Required Skills: Leadership, excellent written and oral communication, strong commitment, consensus building
- Provide technical training for newer teammates and certain customers as needed. Train new program Software Systems Engineers and cross-train within the team on various systems.
- Required Skills: Leadership, Excellent written and oral communication, performance assessment and reporting capabilities
- Provide support to program internal and customer focused meetings as directed by the program manager. Establish and cultivate program related lines of communication to ensure thorough awareness and understanding of mission related performance and/or program related issues, risk, and concerns
- Required Skills: System and technical competency, excellent relationship management, excellent written and oral communication
A more detailed and insightful description of duties and responsibilities and the critical nature of the position will be provided to the selected candidate upon successful completion of applicable national security clearance processing and approvals as granted and directed by the program customer.
- U.S. citizen with an active TS/SCI with a polygraph required
- Requires a BS degree and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or a Masters with 2-6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Current DoD 8570 certification applicable to the position (typically Security+)
- Knowledge of Tier 2 software engineering on mission critical systems
- Experience with constructive, collaborative approach
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and constructively with other leaders
- Must be willing to perform call-in support as required
- Proven experience and proficiency with one or more of the following disciplines in an enterprise environment: Unix, Linux, and/or Windows based OS and application management
- Troubleshooting of complex and interconnected systems
- Mission-specific technical knowledge and operations experience
- ITIL v3 Foundation or Higher Certification
- Proven experience and proficiency with one or more of the following disciplines in an enterprise environment: Script development and implementation (e.g. PyThon, BaSH, XML)
- Usage and support of Enterprise Management tool(s)
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.