Looking for an exciting opportunity to make an impact as a Linux/Unix Systems Engineer Lead?
New program slated to begin August 2022. 1901 Group (A Leidos Company) has an exciting Linux/Unix Systems Engineer Lead position located in Blacksburg, VA with opportunities to work remotely. The Linux/Unix Systems Engineer Lead will lead an elite team of IT professionals to maintain an optimal environment for critical customer systems. The Linux/Unix Systems Engineer Lead is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and maintenance of the Linux/Unix systems and ensuring maximum availability, performance, and security for our DoD customer.
The Unix/Linux Systems Engineer Team Lead will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and maintenance and improvements of the customers’ Linux/Unix environment including event, incident, change, problem, and patch management.
• Lead the design, implementation, and administration of Linux (Red Hat) in virtualized environments (AWS).
• Provide all customer-facing aspects for Linux/Unix infrastructure operations across multiple production and non-production environments, major incident management, day-to-day operational support, and end-to-end customer relationship management. Includes all service management capabilities to ensure IT Operations is meeting KPI and SLA service level requirements across the environment.
• Direct a team of Unix/Linux Systems Engineers to ensure overall project success with an on-time delivery
• Provide guidance to other teams, systems engineers, and operations staff on the status of the infrastructure.
• Lead a hybrid multi-location operations team administering and maintaining non-Production and production servers
• Plan and apply Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs) on remote hosts to ensure security compliance.
• Responsible for the maintenance and operational performance of Cloud based IT infrastructure in support of large scale and complex ERP applications. Ensure that data center operations are sustained during all maintenance activities.
• Continuously improve processes, quality, and efficiency by analyzing metrics and performance indicators such as tickets, processes, and workflow, and identifying improvements.
• Lead Administration activities to deliver high availability for all server resources within the data center while ensuring confidentiality and integrity of the environment.
• Monitor health, performance, and operational trends to proactively identify issues before they become incidents and identify and communicate risks in a timely manner
• Responsible for prioritizing and allocating workload with the team members and will act as first point of escalation for team member issues both within the team as well as with other teams
• Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of experience in Linux/Unix engineering/administration, and 2+ years team lead or supervisorial experience, additional years of experience will be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
• Certifications: DoD 8570 IAT Level II baseline certification (CCNA Security, CySA+, GICSP, GSEC, Security+ CE, CND, SSCP)
• Strong communication skills both written and verbal.
• System performance analysis, tuning, and troubleshooting experience including network, system, and hardware optimization for low latency
• Strong process-oriented experience and demonstrated leadership
• Understanding of Linux processes and the manipulation of them
• Strong user management skills through the command line and an understanding of Linux/AD authentication and the use of realmd/Kerberos
• Familiarity with AWS EC2, ALB, ELB, VPCs, security groups and an overall understanding of AWS cloud management
• Strong scripting abilities using Perl, Python, and/or bash/ksh to automate and streamline system administration
• Proficient knowledge and experience with AWS Cloud Platform Products
• High Availability, clustering, failover, and load balancing experience
• US Citizen
● DoD Secret clearance is required prior to start (Interim Secret clearance is acceptable)
• Red Hat Certified System Administrator or Red Hat Certified Engineer certification desired
• AWS Cloud Practitioner or Associate level certification desired
• Strong understanding of Linux kernel tuning and operating system semantics. Real-time kernel experience a plus
• Strong planning and organizational skills, able to document processes and procedures, able to understand problems, frame them for other team members, and drive to solutions as a group.
• Ability to build trust and influence inside the team, and with external stakeholders.
• Experience working with developers and trading systems operations to troubleshoot application performance issues.
• Experience developing test programs, project plans and roadmaps, and driving them to conclusion.
Who Are We?
1901 Group (A Leidos Company) prides itself on looking ahead of our competitors for the next wave of IT trends. We provide our employees with training and development opportunities, preparing them for upcoming technical challenges.
With primary office locations in Blacksburg and Reston, VA, our teams support customers from across the United States. Our innovative IT as-a Service delivery model is supported by industry certifications that ensure quality and efficient IT solutions.
We are transforming the delivery of IT services through the use of enterprise managed services that leverage the cloud to securely monitor, manage, and optimize complex IT environments.
The history of automation is what inspired the name of our company. 1901 was the year that another disruptive technology changed the world: the assembly line. Leveraging skills and materials in an efficient manner within a repeatable process that quadrupled output applies to IT services today.
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.