Leidos is looking for a Systems Engineer to join our team of engineers, analysts, and task leaders in providing technical support to the Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency’s (CISA) Emergency Communications Division (ECD) for the national security and emergency preparedness (NS/EP) Priority Telecommunication Services (PTS) Program. This is a newly-funded task being activated on a long-standing, Leidos Prime Program.
- Candidate must have demonstrated experience in engineering, implementing, testing, and deploying modern communication networks and systems; technologies such as Long-Term Evolution (LTE), 5th Generation Wireless Networks and Internet Protocol (IP) Multimedia Subsystem (IMS); Wireline/Cable networks, and services such as VoIP, Messaging, Data, and Video
Hybrid Remote- Candidate must be local to the Vienna, VA area. Onsite is required for occasional meetings, requirements of position and other contract requirements. Qualifed candidate will have experience in 5th Generation Wireless Networks and Internet Protocol (IP) Multimedia Subsystem (IMS); Wireline/Cable networks, and services such as VoIP, Messaging, Data, and Video.
Supporting the ECD mission, the Telecommunication Systems Engineer II will also be interacting with other Government contractors and US communications services providers to provide engineering analysis of the future technologies and solutions for priority communications over current and next generation wireline and wireless networks for services such as priority voice over IP (VoIP), data, video, and information services. The analysis topics include future technology enhancements, future service planning, and interoperable solutions. The position also recommends and plans feasibility studies, proofs of concept and pilot systems for validating priority communications solutions involving emerging technologies, cybersecurity, interoperability, and operations.
- Conduct analysis of the impact of emerging technologies such as 5G, Wi-Fi, cybersecurity, resiliency, mobile edge computing, cloud computing on priority communications and operations
- Identify solutions for interoperability with other public safety networks
- Provide recommendations for the evolution of priority communications network and planning phases
- Provide recommendations for feasibility studies, proofs of concept and pilot systems for validating priority communications solutions involving emerging technologies, cybersecurity, interoperability, and operations
- Develop plans for feasibility studies, proofs of concept and pilot systems, and the conduct of verification, validation, and field-testing. Recommend approaches to systems integration with current service deployments.
- Review and evaluate service providers’ future services plan designs and development efforts to meet the priority communications requirements and provide recommendations
- Review wireless and wireline/broadband communications networks operational performance and provide recommendations
- Review technical documents, reports, and briefings for Leidos’ ECD customers
- Produces solutions to a variety of problems that may arise in an expeditious and timely manner
- Present findings to colleagues, Government customers, and working groups on an occasional basis
- Works independently or as part of a technical team, in support of systems engineering projects and proofs of concept
- The position involves participation in virtual meetings and occasional in-person meetings with Leidos team and Government staff at various locations in the National Capitol Region (NCR)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university in an engineering field (Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science preferred) with 4-8 years overall engineering experience, or Master’s with 2-6 years of relevant experience
- Must be able to obtain DHS Entry on Duty (EOD)
- Must be a US Citizen with ability to obtain clearance
- Candidate must live within commuting distance from the work site
- Demonstrated experience in engineering, implementing, testing, and deploying modern communication networks and systems; technologies such as Long-Term Evolution (LTE), 5th Generation Wireless Networks and Internet Protocol (IP) Multimedia Subsystem (IMS); Wireline/Cable networks, and services such as VoIP, Messaging, Data, and Video
- Knowledge of industry standards (e.g., 3GPP, IEEE, ATIS) and experience in applying the standards in system designs
- Good understanding of networking concepts like virtualization, software defined network, hypervisor, containerization, orchestration, protocols, and network security methodologies
- In-depth understanding of cloud computing concepts (edge cloud vs. centralized cloud architecture) and cybersecurity challenges for the Private/Hybrid/Public cloud deployments
- Experience reviewing and evaluating carrier’s designs and development efforts and providing recommendations
- Understanding of IP networking concepts and technologies (IP/MPLS, TCP/IP, Ethernet, etc.)
- Understanding of web technologies like HTTP2.0, federated ID, OAuth/OpenID/OpenID Connect
- Knowledge of testing strategies like Black-box, White-box, Fuzz testing, and Synthetic testing
- Knowledge of cybersecurity and privacy principles as applicable to communication networks
- Interact well with a team, positive attitude, good verbal and written communications skills, and strong self-initiative
- No initial clearance needed to start; however, you must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance
- Experience in software design, development, and testing
- Experience in network systems design, deployment, and testing; provisioning, performance monitoring, and other network operations
- Experience in Radio Frequency (RF) and network capacity planning
- Experience in network systems simulation and modeling
- Experience in network systems research and development
- Knowledge or experience with some of the following is an advantage: Product Lifecycle Analysis, Requirements Analysis, Product Testing, Risk Analysis
- Familiarity with the Systems Engineering Life Cycle (SELC) process
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.