The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking a Mineral Solubility Scientist Intern to join our team in Pittsburgh, PA as part of our Internship Program. This opportunity will allow side-by-side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The employee will leverage their analytical laboratory capabilities to participate in research that focuses on understanding mineral solubility at elevated temperatures and pressures. These laboratory insights will support the priorities of the DOE Fossil Energy and Carbon Management mission space.
- Assist with planning mineral solubility tests
- Primarily responsible for testing setup, execution, and cleanup
- Collaborate with fellow research scientists to evaluating testing results
- Thoroughly documenting procedure, preparations, and collecting data.
- Building relationships with internal and external clients
- Candidates must currently be attending a university working towards a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a physical science or engineering and maintain a GPA of 2.8 or better.
- Course work in thermodynamics of aqueous electrolytes systems and corrosion.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research experiments independently with paramount attention to safety.
- Working knowledge of basic laboratory equipment such as densimeters, viscometers, pH meters, etc.
- Willingness and interest in learning geological information related to data (i.e. offshore subsurface topics and spatial data)
- Experience in conducting experiments at elevated temperatures and pressures.
- Experience in analytical techniques particularly ICP mass spectrometry.
Pay Range $30,100.00 - $41,000.00 - $51,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.