Currently, we have an opportunity for Distribution Engineer for electric utility design engineering.
The successful candidate must have experience in developing the work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as DDS, GDT, GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer and Maximo. The candidate will be comfortable in both a field and office setting, and will trained in customer engineering and construction standards. Successful candidates will have experience structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, calculations of electric demand and fault currents. Candidates will gain experience in coordination of conflicting utilities, and other field engineering design requirements, the assessment and development of design big packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements and ROW applications..
Background must haves:
Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering degree (EE preferred) is required and 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 4+ years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering (EIT/FE credentials or PE license is preferred)
Experience with Voltage Conversion projects, Road Widening Projects, Major Underground Projects, Conductor replacements, Residential New Service, Commercial New Service, and OH to UG conversions
Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates
Experience with Microsoft Teams, Maximo, Bluebeam, and GDT
Nice to haves:
Experience providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, DDS
Experience using MicroStation--performing Electrical Distribution design
Experience with design standards
Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills and supporting of customer advocacy
Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
Ability to work with limited supervision
Professional dress and demeanor
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your professional journey of a flourishing and meaningful career; share your resume with us today!
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
Professional Engineer License (PE)
Project Management Professional (PMP)
In this role, you can also expect to gain:
Structural Pole Modeling
Electrical Power Calculations
GIS design training
In this role, the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Perform design engineering
- Lead and develop a team of engineers
- Manage scope, schedule and budget of work assigned
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Leading preconstruction meetings with construction crews
- Review of engineering design packages with clients
- Performing functional tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
- Performing scope analysis of work assigned and maintaining schedule adherence in support of client priorities.
- Establish and develop client relationships while providing a positive influence in leading a team and collaborating with peers.
- Initiating continuous improvement to work flow processes that drives efficiency and high quality standards in client design deliverables.
What you will bring to the table:
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial)
- 4-8 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2 + years: relevant experience either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and distribution construction standards
- Experience with work management software and job estimating software
- Experience using CAD tools
- Experience with budgeting and scheduling tools (MS Project, Primavera P6)
- PE preferred
Nice to haves:
- Experience providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC
- Experience with design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, DDS
- Experience using MicroStation--performing Electrical Distribution design
- Experience with design standards
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills and supporting of customer advocacy
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Professional dress and demeanor
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
Pay Range:Pay Range $65,000.00 - $100,000.00 - $135,000.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.