The US Government uses space systems to solve many complex problems to protect our warfighters and gather information on threats to our national interest. The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) performs space payload systems research and development (R&D) to create innovative one-of-a-kind solutions to these complex Customer needs.
LInC has an opportunity for an Optical Engineer to join our team in San Diego, CA, to work on the research, design, development, and test of optical payload systems for Overhead Persistent Infrared (OPIR) and Space Situational Awareness (SSA) missions. Programs are funded by multiple US Government sponsors, industry, as well as Internal Research and Development (IR&D) efforts. The Optical Engineer will participate in responses to government issued proposals with respect to optical imaging systems used in the visible and Infrared spectrum. Upon award, efforts include system conceptualization, Optical design, optical performance analysis, payload construction, testing and integration.
These are some of the interesting things you will be doing:
- Candidate should understand basic radiometry requirements, optical performance specification and payload hardware development such that an optical system can be designed using optical modeling programs such as ZEMAX (recommended).
- Candidate should be familiar with optical tolerancing, athermalization evaluation, and lens manufacturing methods and drawing standards. Stray Light control, Structural Thermal Optical Performance (STOP) analysis, and laboratory testing, and evaluation experience is beneficial.
- Knowledge in Infrared lens design is highly useful as well as reflective optical system designs.
To be successful in this job you will need these skills:
- Bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- InfraRed and Visible lens design using Optical design tools (Zemax preferred).
- Knowledge of how electro-optical systems are designed, specified, developed, manufactured, and tested including Focal Plane Arrays, bandpass filter performance, AR coating and Lyot stop implementation.
- Knowledge and experience laboratory testing.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications, MatLab, and CAD (Solidworks).
- Effective communication, coordination, and customer engagement skills.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic, and team environment.
You will really impress us if you have these skills and/or interests:
- Stray light performance analysis using FRED, Bandpass and AR coating development, Radiometric modeling, and Lens manufacturing and assembly process knowledge.
- Experience in prototype and production development, including testing and demonstration.
- Possess a Secret security clearance or higher.
Pay Range:Pay Range $74,750.00 - $115,000.00 - $155,250.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.