The Maritime Solution Systems Portfolio within the Maritime Systems Division (MSD) is seeking an experienced, dynamic, and highly capable Chief Engineer to join the Leidos team in either Lynnwood or Poulsbo, WA to lead a multidisciplined team in the support of a variety of maritime projects including undersea vehicles, optical system design, subsea acoustic arrays, and at-sea installation and repair efforts. The scope of the business activities within this portfolio includes: underwater vehicle systems, maritime sensors, supporting information technology & engineering services for complex maritime applications, development and support of underwater data acquisition and telemetry systems for distributed sensors for ISR, IPOE, SSW and platform signature measurement.
The Chief Engineer will be responsible for providing strategic and tactical leadership across the portfolio of programs, leading a team of senior engineering managers and their staff in the successful proposal and execution of complex maritime programs. The Chief Engineer shall lead the implementation of technical solutions across multiple types of maritime programs for Department of Defense agencies, from autonomous vehicles to deployed subsea systems. In this role, the Chief Engineer will create, grow, and manage the overall engineering department within the Portfolio and be responsible for all aspects of engineering, including Mechanical, Electrical, Software/Firmware and I&T.
MSD is an industry leader in developing, applying, and advancing the state-of-the-art signal processing technologies for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems including distributed netted sensor systems, communications systems, positioning systems, tactical decision systems, and autonomous unmanned platforms. Leidos maritime systems are addressing complex mission requirements and pioneering impressive firsts in the application of advanced signal processing solutions to the full range of maritime missions. The MSD team includes an outstanding group of engineers and scientists, located in Arlington VA, Long Beach MS, Newport RI, Lynnwood and Poulsbo WA, San Diego CA, and other sites around the United States, who support a broad range of activities ranging from advanced prototype development for DARPA, ONR and other S&T customers to provide support for ongoing Navy missions. The successful applicant will become part of a world class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development.
- Manage multiple geographically distributed engineering teams across the Maritime Systems Division.
- Provide direct support to Leidos customers through the engineering of solutions and robust processes across a diverse portfolio of maritime opportunities and programs.
- Responsible for engineering initiatives that focus on engineering capabilities, process differentiation, technical solutioning, proposal development, and program execution.
- Define, maintain, update, and drive innovation into engineering tools, processes, and resources.
- Active participation in the Business Capture Process to include writing, designing, and reviewing proposal material.
- Active participation in the Leidos Solutions Architect program.
- Develop and implement long-term engineering strategies aligned to the Division, Operation, Group and Corporate Technology Strategies.
- Development, mentoring and training of the lead engineering staff which includes career guidance and professional growth opportunities.
- Requires a BA/BS or equivalent experience and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience. Generally has 4+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects.
- 20+ years of related engineering experience on large complex programs that include software and electro-mechanical systems.
- 10+ years of experience as a functional manager leading a distributed engineering team with direct reports.
- 15+ years of experience in a customer facing role as a technical/engineering leader.
- Ability to mentor, lead, promote, and retain talent.
- Ability to mentor, lead, promote, and retain engineering talent.
- Ability to obtain TS/SCI clearance.
- Experienced managing/leading integrated product teams (IPTs) and working groups for DoD programs.
- Experienced in developing, maturing, and improving engineering policies and procedures that align to standards and best practices.
- Management and oversight experience of engineering processes that include requirements management and system design modeling.
- Experience in driving innovation in the system engineering process using SysML Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE).
- Familiarity and use of standard program management tools and processes used for Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) control, Configuration Management, Risk Management and Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Significant experience supporting capture activities to include chairing/participating in Gate Reviews, generating BOE’s, writing technical volumes for proposals, and providing preliminary technical guidance for solutions.
- Existing Solutions Architect or similar at existing employer.
- 10+ years of experience leading the design, development, and integration subsea maritime systems.
- Understanding of ISO 9001:2015.
- Exposure to program management responsibilities for DoD programs. Including program execution, contract negotiations, financial, and subcontractor management.
- Experienced managing DoD programs with formal deliverables (CDRL’s) that include software, hardware, test support and documentation.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing.
- Experienced with C4, AUV’s, ASV’s, payloads and deployed subsea systems.
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.