The Maritime Solution Systems Portfolio within the Maritime Systems Division (MSD) is seeking an experienced and highly capable Software Engineering Manager and technical lead to join the Leidos team in either Lynnwood or Poulsbo, WA to lead a team of Software Engineers in the support of a variety of maritime projects, including undersea vehicles, optical system design, and subsea acoustic arrays. The scope of the business activities within this portfolio includes: underwater vehicle systems, maritime sensors, supporting information technology & engineering services for complex maritime applications, development and support of underwater data acquisition and telemetry systems for distributed sensors for ISR, IPOE, SSW and platform signature measurement.
The Lead Software Engineer will lead the software engineering team organization and will be responsible for implementing technical solutions that address existing and emerging maritime missions of national importance for multiple Department of Defense agencies. The candidate will be responsible for the software engineering technical, administrative leadership, and oversight functions. As a technical manager, the candidate will provide technical direction to the software development teams in accordance with program priorities and objectives.
MSD is an industry leader in developing, applying, and advancing the state-of-the-art signal processing technologies for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems including distributed netted sensor systems, communications systems, positioning systems, tactical decision systems, and autonomous unmanned platforms. Leidos maritime systems are addressing complex mission requirements and pioneering impressive firsts in the application of advanced signal processing solutions to the full range of maritime missions. The MSD team includes an outstanding group of engineers and scientists, located in Arlington VA, Long Beach MS, Newport RI, Lynnwood and Poulsbo WA, San Diego CA, and other sites around the United States, who support a broad range of activities ranging from advanced prototype development for DARPA, ONR and other S&T customers to provide support for ongoing Navy missions. The successful applicant will become part of a world class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development.
- Manage software engineering team across a portfolio of multi-disciplined maritime programs.
- Coordinate within the overall Leidos Maritime Systems Division as a Software Engineering Lead on the execution of proposals, project staffing, and successful execution of programs.
- Coordinate and oversee analysis and design of maritime systems in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Track and manage development tasks based on the software delivery schedule and customer priorities.
- Responsible for initiatives that focus on software processes that are replicated and unified across all programs for execution.
- Influences development of solutions that impact strategic project/program goals and business results.
- Serves as a subject matter expert within the software engineering technical domain.
- Develop, implement, and provide guidance related to program and project software processes, procedures, and policies.
- Conduct mid-year reviews and annual performance evaluations.
- Development, mentoring and training of the lead software engineering staff that includes career guidance and professional growth opportunities.
- Requires a BA/BS or equivalent experience and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience. Generally has 4+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects.
- 12+ years’ experience in object-oriented design and development using C++ as a software developer.
- 7+ years of experience developing software solutions for autonomous unmanned maritime systems (UUV’s, USV’s, subsea nodes, payloads and autonomy architectures).
- 5+ years’ experience architecting software solutions using service orientated architectures.
- Ability to obtain a TS clearance, TS/SCI preferred.
- Working knowledge of multiple Linux based operating systems (Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc.).
- Experience with various design patterns such as MVC, SOA, publish-subscribe and state machines using open standards, services and interfaces.
- Experience in scoping and estimating software development tasks, and developing software schedules.
- Experienced leading software engineering projects and development teams across the entire lifecycle including requirements, design, development, integration, and testing using a documented software development process.
- Experienced in maturing and improving software development policies and procedures that align to standards and best practices.
- Experienced managing/leading, integrated product teams (IPT’s) and working groups on DoD projects.
- Ability to convince others to accept software engineering current practices and agree/accept new concepts, practices, and approaches.
Ability to mentor, lead, promote, and retain talent.
- Understanding of ISO 9001:2015.
- Experienced with ROS/ROS2, ZeroMQ and Google Protocol Buffers.
- Proficient in UML/SysML using Cameo Systems Modeler.
- Experience implementing Agile processes using the Atlassian Toolset (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket and Bamboo).
- Experienced with designing and developing solutions the adhere to Modular Open Systems Architecture (MOSA) and Unmanned Maritime Autonomy Architecture (UMAA) requirements.
Pay Range:Pay Range $113,100.00 - $174,000.00 - $234,900.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 45,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.